Welcome to the Ghost Man on Third blog, the Worldwide Leader in Austin WAKA Kickball & Social Sports. Posts are player-generated, please email waka.gmot@gmail.com to contribute.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hannah Montana's XXX Tape

The most important thing to ever happen on a kickball field

I have been fortunate enough to play kickball for over 4 years.  I have seen my fair share of crazy games, crazy antics, crazy people, and crazy plays, but nothing has been as amazing as what happened 2 weeks ago against Awful Waffles.

Bottom of the 5th inning.  Losing 6-7.  Our first kicker is up.  The ball takes an strange bounce as our kicker attempts to kick/bunt/harlem shake the ball.  The ball hits him off of the upper thigh.  No, this is not a "ball to the nuts" story.  The ball trickles into fair territory.  The catcher picks up the ball and tags him out.  

Now this was not a knee ball, it was an upper thigh ball.  Hands down the worse knee ball I have ever seen.  Easy call for the ref.  However, there was no line ref, and the home plate ref could not have seen the knee ball.  He called the batter out.  

Now, tight game, down to the wire.  Blown call (not pointing fingers).  Catcher didn't see it.  Ref didn't see it.  This helps Waffles get one step closer to victory.  What happened next truly blew me away- THEY told the ref it was a knee ball.  THEY said he shouldn't be out. THEY let him kick again, with the game on the line...and he got on base.

The karma train was already rolling in their favor after a move like that, and they deserved that W.   That however, is not the moral of the story my friends- the moral here is- this is kickball.  This is fun. Make the right move, even when the game is on the line.  Your kickball karma will do more for you outside of the game than walking away with a meaningless W in a social sports game, I promise you that!

I can honestly say if I was on the field in their shoes, I would not have said anything.  I would have let the batter be out. On that note, I know of a game we won this season where I was out, called safe, scored, and we won by 1 (Sorry That Kick Cray, won't happen again!). 

Awful Waffles stepped up and did what was right in a critical moment knowing the potential consequences. Woah. Big hats off to their incredible sportsmanship and the character of that team. 
See you in the playoffs Waffles! 

Love, 

Hannah Montana

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Thanks Hannah! Love, The Awful Waffles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably my favorite GMOT post of all time.

    ReplyDelete